We get asked this question a lot, "can i add presets to videos in Lightroom?...."
The answer is kind of, although its not great, but don't worry we have a better way and we'll show you how in this article.
The best way is to actually not use Lightroom presets on your videos.
Because Lightroom presets are specifically designed for photos and don't work well on videos, plus the Lightroom app wont let you actually edit your videos like it it does with photos.
Instead you need to use LUT's these are filters/presets specifically designed for videos. The best thing about these video filters (LUT's) is you can use them directly on you phone with the free VN Video app similar to the way you use presets in Lightroom Mobile.
We've created a variety of custom Mobile Video Filters based off our popular photo presets you can find them here. All you have to do is import them into the VN Video app, its super easy and we include short instructions and a video how to do it if its your first time.
The free VN Video app is one of the best apps for editing and creating reels available on your phone, and its what we use to create all our video content using our custom filters. The great thing about it is you can add the filter to your video and adjust its intensity. In the app you also have editing tools to adjust the video such as exposure, vibrance, shadows and highlights. Along with all the other editing tools like cutting transitions and masks. And the best thing its free! that means no monthly subscriptions yay!
Using Mobile Video Filters has really been a game changer for our content, its allowed us to get the consistent look we want and give our iPhone videos a pop.S if your ready to give them a go check them out here.
BEFORE & AFTER
Using VN Video app and our Mobile Video Filters
VN Video app is available on the iPhone app store and Google play store.
If you still want to have a go and try to add your existing Lightroom presets to videos inside Lightroom well show you how here. Just keep in mind its not really that great and after we gave it a go once we never really bothered again.
To apply Lightroom presets to a video:
- Firstly you can only do this on the paid desktop version of Lightroom Classic, not the mobile app
- Open Lightroom Classic and in Library mode click "Import" to add your video
- Once your video is imported you can only edit it in Library Mode, Develop mode does not work for videos
- In library mode head to the menu on the right and select "Quick Edit", here you can click the "Saved Presets" menu and select the preset you want. keep in mind not all preset setting will work on the video as they are not all compatible, you'll only get slight colour tone changes
- While in quick edit mode you can make basic adjustments to the video such as exposure, whites, blacks and vibrance